A distraught woman is calling on dog owners to be more responsible and keep their animals on leads after her beloved cat was attacked and killed.
Anna Brown, 40, of Cherryholt Road, Stamford, was left horrified when she received a call to say that her ginger cat Sabre had been attacked by two dogs outside her home.
She rushed to Burghley Veterinary Centre, where Sabre had been taken by neighbours who fought the dogs off, but his injuries were so severe, he sadly had to be put to sleep.
The incident has been reported to both the police and the RSPCA but Anna has been advised that there is little action that can be taken because the dogs attacked a cat.
Now Anna, a hairdresser who runs Smithy’s in Kesteven Road, Stamford, wants dog owners to take more responsibility for their animals and keep them on a lead, particularly in built-up areas.
She said: “Sabre just did not stand a chance and I think if the dogs had been on leads it just never would have happened.
“I just can’t understand why, if you know your dog acts like that, why you wouldn’t keep them on leads or put muzzles on them.
“I feel very strongly that dog owners have a responsibility. It could easily have been a child.”
Anna believes that Sabre, a Burmese Bengal cat, would have struggled in particular as about five years ago he had to have a leg amputated.
But despite this and the fact he was 13, he was still a lively character and adored by both Anna and her 16-year-old daughter Phoebe.
Anna said: “I’m so upset by this. He was such a lovable rogue. One time he ate all the fibre optic lights and tinsel from our Christmas tree. The tinsel ‘reappeared’ when I had friends round for a meal, I was mortified!
“Everyone knew him though and I’ve heard so many stories about him. He was definitely a character who was loved by a lot of people.”
Since the incident, which happened on Wednesday last week, Anna’s other cat Sparkles has been lost without her friend.
Before moving to Cherryholt Road nearly four years ago, Anna used to live in Kesteven Road opposite her salon where Sabre was a regular visitor . He became affectionately known as ‘Tripod’ by customers, who have been upset to learn the horrific way he died.
He was also a regular visitor to the office buildings in Cherryholt Road, including the Mercury office, where he became a familiar face on the doorstep, greeting staff and visitors alike in the hope of getting a titbit and trying to sneak into the foyer.
A police spokesman said they couldn’t comment on the specific case as officers were still investigating.
But she echoed Anna’s calls, saying: “It is vital that pet owners take responsibility for their animal and take the necessary actions to ensure they are under control.
“This might mean keeping them on a lead and / or considering a muzzle. Where another animal has been injured we would work with the RSPCA and those involved to make sure it does not happen again.
“At the very least, words of advice would be given and potentially the Anti-Social Behaviour Team would be contacted for their consideration as to whether further action, such as a warning letter, would be appropriate.”