Golf: New face Mark Staite wins championship at North Luffenham Golf Club
North Luffenham Golf Club men’s captain Dave Wildman, has resigned his position due to work commitments and Ken Jones is the new club captain.
The club championships have been held throughout July. The Open Championship was held over two weekends using strokeplay format.
New member Mark Staite won the best gross with a remarkable 158 shots. Best gross in round one was Peter Barker scoring an impressive 78, Alan Swindley had the best gross score in round two with 80.
Best nett score over the two rounds was achieved by Bob Dixon with an excellent 143. In round one, David Tubb with a nett 70, was in first place, and Gordon Knox had the best nett score in round two with a 72.
In the seniors championship played over 18 holes, Peter Barker came out with best gross score of 73, with Don Lambert achieving the best nett score of 65, playing off 23.
In the return fixture against Stoke Albany, the senior team recorded an impressive 4-2 victory, reversing the score from the previous fixture.
Results: Alan Swindley/Don Lambert won 7 & 5, Jim Ashworth/Alan Cassapi won 3 & 2, Stan Smith/John Nicholls won 2 & 1, Dave Woodcock/Charles Cade lost 1 down, Alan Barwell/Chris Lee won 4 & 3, Peter Lemmon/John Everitt lost 2 & 1.
The game was marred by a serious injury sustained by Luffenham player Alan Cassapi. A stray drive from a nearby fairway hit the back of Alan’s hand which resulted in him needing an operation to insert a metal pin in his hand. His golf is now on hold for a few months.
- Man who went missing from Kendrew Barracks in Cottesmore found safe
- Man left with serious face injury following assault in Oakham
- Residents in Edmonton Way set to raise parking problems at meeting
- Inside the Tigers’ Den - Final promises to be a seismic clash
- Former Oakham town councillor Martin Brookes denies harassment charges
- Top dog Binky prepares for starring role
- Annual French market to be held in Uppingham
- Dedicated coach from Uppingham gets award for helping young people in sport
- Two-year ban for teacher who sent sexually suggestive messages to teenage pupil
- Catalytic converter security packs on sale at Oakham police station
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Oakham
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North west