Rutland County Council calls for you to have a say on how social care in funded

Rutland County Council's Catmose offices in Oakham. Photo: Alan Walters EMN-150923-095025001
Rutland County Council's Catmose offices in Oakham. Photo: Alan Walters EMN-150923-095025001

Rutland County Council has asked people for their views on possible changes to the way social care is funded in the future.

The authority has launched a consultation covering a number of key questions about the cost of social care services, the outcome of which will help to inform future decisions about charging.

Unlike healthcare, social care is not free for everyone, with financial assessments used by local authorities across the UK to decide whether individual care is paid for by the council or whether service users should pay for it themselves.

Rutland County Council is considering a number of changes to its charging policy that will only affect those who are eligible to fund their own care, as determined by national Government thresholds.

The proposed changes include:

- Should the council pass on the cost of arranging chargeable care?

- Should the council ask people to pay the cost of chargeable services, if they are eligible?

- Should the council ask individuals to fund the cost of any deferred payments?

The council’s portfolio holder for health and social care Richard Clifton (Con) said: “Rutland’s population is ageing, placing more and more pressure on council budgets.

“The Government’s Care Act 2014 introduced a number of ways that councils can update their charging policies to make social care services more sustainable and ensure they can continue to be offered to everyone who needs 

“We’re not making any changes without first consulting members of the public so it’s important people have their say. Even if you are young and healthy now you may need these services in future so I would encourage everyone to take part in the consultation.”

The social care consultation will run until April 29. Printed questionnaires will be available at the county’s libraries, GP surgeries and the council’s Catmose office and can be returned by post.

Alternatively, residents can view the consultation documents and take part in an online survey by visiting