On January 8 at Oakham Castle, the 35th George Phillips Built Environment Award was presented by Tim Clough of Rutland Local History & Record Society to Mike and Caroline Hammond, owners of Chapter Farm, Braunston in Rutland.
The award was in recognition of the restoration carried out and its significant contribution towards conserving the built environment of Rutland.
Chapter Farm was owned by the major land-owning families in Braunston through the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. In 1838, ownership passed to the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, from which comes the name of Chapter Farm. Dating largely from the 17th century, the present house contains the fragmentary survival of a late 15th century hall house.
Two other buildings received commendations. Redgate, London Road, Uppingham, a former Uppingham School boarding house, was Highly Commended in the George Phillips Awards for the sympathetic restoration of its east wing and second storey, both of which had been removed in 1962.
=The Old Manor House, Thorpe by Water, built in 1597, was Commended for the restoration of its west and north wings.
A three storey end of terrace house in Oakham, 27 Northgate, was the winner of the Tony Traylen Built Environment Award for the detailed internal restoration work carried out by owners Mike and Kate Woods. It was built in 1825 by John Cooke, a grocer, candle maker and tallow chandler. Redhill Farmhouse, Chapel Lane, Barrowden, a Grade II listed property of 18th century origin, was Commended in the Tony Traylen Awards for the major internal restoration work carried out by the owners.
The George Phillips and Tony Traylen awards ceremony, which is held annually, was organised by Rutland Local History and Record Society, and judging was undertaken jointly by the society and Rutland County Council. The presentations were followed by a talk by Nick Hill on Preston Manor House, which won the George Phillips award in 2013.