Home   Sport   Article

Firsts overcome tough test; Seconds go close to upsetting leaders


Charnwood Rutland Firsts came through another tough test at the weekend to maintain their unbeaten record in East Midlands Regional Division One with a 33-28 victory over Southgate.

Facing a determined Southgate team, the Warriors were slow out of the blocks as their opponents used their experience to gain an early lead.

However, the young Warriors side stepped up their game and brought it back with the scores level at 9-9 after the first quarter.

Determined and hungry for a win, Warriors worked relentlessly to get ahead of Southgate in the second quarter.

Thanks to outstanding defence from Charnwood Rutland and strong shooting from their attack to convert the possession into goals they went into half-time three goals ahead.

With their noses in front, the team grew in confidence with more interceptions from their impressive defence and strong shooting which saw Warriors take a comfortable 10-goal lead into three quarter time.

However, despite this tremendous third quarter from the Warriors, Southgate came out fighting in the final quarter as they began to creep back, challenging every ball and making life very difficult for the attack.

They tested Warriors to the final whistle but Charnwood Rutland showed their strength and came out on top.

With another tough test ending in victory, the team demonstrated their ability to perform under pressure and secure wins against experienced opposition.

Charnwood Rutland 2 came agonisingly close to upsetting the current Regional Division Two league leaders on Sunday but just came up short after a 41-38 defeat to Grasshoppers.

They made a strong start to the first quarter with their defence unsettling Grasshoppers and their shooters racking up the goals to go into the second quarter with a four goal lead.

In the second quarter the experienced Grasshoppers side stepped up their game with their physical defence and strong goal shooter proving instrumental.

However, Charnwood Rutland seconds were equal to the task and, with captain Maia Ellis urging the players to stay clam and play their own game, they held a three goal lead going into half-time.

With Charnwood Rutland’s defence working tirelessly to create turnovers their shooters kept their composure to stretch their lead out to four heading into the final 15 minutes.

With the win in their sights and the chance to upset the current league leaders the team which play under the name Warriors on court urged each other to stay calm and keep possession for the last quarter.

However, Grasshoppers showed why they currently sit top of Division Two as they came out firing for the last 15 minutes determined to maintain their unbeaten record.

With their defence disrupting the Charnwood Rutland shooters and their attack calmly scoring goals down the other end they scored four on the bounce to draw level and then pull ahead as they grew in confidence.

Despite fighting to the end, Warriors were unable to take back their lead as they just missed out on taking the scalp of Grasshoppers by three goals.

With two wins and two narrow defeats in their first four games this season the new team continue to grow and are confident that next time they can secure the win.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More